Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Awakening, reweaving and exploding

My old Christian mates in Fusion talk of a "Awakening" beginning in Australia. I think Mal Garvin first begun to speak of it back in 1980? Its a different take on the old idea of a revival. Mal I think will go down in history as a modest yet remarkable visionary. He is a yet to be recognised national treasure. And Fusion is a huge gift to our nation.
Whilst my beliefs now differ I still hold him as one of my primary mentors and a huge inspiration. And the time I spent in Fusion from when I was 18 to 30 has left such an incredible legacy that I am eternally thankful for. Painful...yes and stretching yes but in retrospect incredibly helpful. And I think there is a awakening happening in the Christian Church but also much broader. The creative religious explosion that I talk of is much broader. It will no doubt effect churches but it will cross all boundaries. Many people will return to churches some for the first time and Christianity will have to adapt and grow to handle that and I think as is already occurring many people will seek spiritual nourishment from all sorts of other places. My preference is to go deep into our Western culture first. And that means the intertwining of Christianity with Greek Mythology. The Greek myths and there connection with astrology came first. Then Rome came with its structure that we still have and Christianity came later. In the same way that African Christianity is so obviously influenced by African culture that was in place first Christianity in Europe was originally overlaid on what is called Pagan culture. The Pagan culture never disappeared as its the ground from which the West grew as is Judaism to a lesser degree.
A creative religious explosion is a creative reworking of those elements. The history of the West has many attempts to reweave these sources intellectually.Thomas Aquinas being the big one but certainly loads of others have had a go. The Renaissance was a creative reweaving of Greek and Christian sources. In Australia we now have this vast history as well as Psychology especially Jungian Psychology which is Jung's attempt to reweave. Jung is seen as one of the primary sources for the reemergence of Astrology in the 20th century. As well as that Australia has our indigenous cultures that are so unique in so many ways. We are only just beginning to wake up to that and what our ongoing interaction with them will bring is yet to be seen.
Phew that's a lot isn't it!!
And its almost impossible for the mind to grasp so I believe we have to digest it aesthetically and creatively. This is The Great Re-Weaving that I see is needed. A whole hearted devotion to the creative religious process has to be central to our culture. Art has to be democratized and poured out into the community. Any community artist or art therapist knows that art connects and heals and builds community. We need nothing less than a explosion of energy in the community arts within a broad religious framework. How do I express my christian faith, my nightly dreams , my pain and frustration, my hopes and fears, my astrological chart and its insights, the planets and there stories via art? And in community and for the community and not just the human community but also the ants the bugs m,the trees ,the birds, and the rocks ,the sky the wind and the ocean?? How do I paint that dance it , sculpt it , sing it, tell stories about it, do rituals and ceremonies with it ?
We can create something new together. This will be a awakening of the Creative soul in Australia, a creative religious explosion , a great Reweaving of where we have come from with where we are now and where we want to go. Please write a response but more importantly turn off the computer for an hour and do something different for an hour, something creative that you have you have even the faintest desire to try. No materials? then improvise! And share with others how you went.
Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment