Thursday, January 8, 2009

festina lente

I went to woodford festival for a day and night with my boys. It was great as per usual. My only complaint was that people seemed to still be in a hurry!! I danced the night away and it was great fun yet I must of been moving at half the speed of everyone else!! I think this has to do with being immersed in African culture daily. It dawned on me that to slow down is a act of leadership! perhaps even a revolutionary action!
Why are weall moving so fast??Perhaps the influence of "do you think you can dance" where dance has merged with athletics and gymnastics, impressive but totally exhausting. Ros my partner is West African and she scorns this show and says "White people dont know how to dance". Some do...but as a culture we seem to be caught in a manic rush forwards away from the rythms of nature. I cant help but wonder if this hides a underlying panic that is brewing about the state of the world. If we stop and reflect on the world its pretty damned scary and overwhelming. Then too I wonder if as others are saying that we are in the midst of a collective death rebirth cycle . One that has never been seen before on such a scale and as we enter the final death experince a sort of frenzy of energy is being released. What to do ? Festina lente is latin and means Hasten slowly. Its a paradox! We have to make huge changes quickly yet paradoxically we have to go slowly. Going slowly is the path! Its a path not a highway!Not just going slowly but also noticing what the great world around us is wanting to communicate. Imagine what life is like for a tree? a bird or a insect or a rock? Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment