Saturday, January 1, 2011

burial

I buried the magpie in the garden. It was being kept in a esky in the garage (the alchemical shed)whilst I thought what to do with it. A friend, shamanic Sheridan, said I should ask for permission to work with it and then cut it open and dry it out with salt and not let anyone else touch it. I had thought of getting another friend Kristy to make jewellry with the beak and talons and feathers. Sheridans suggestions sounded good, respectful and deepening of my relationships with the spirit of birds.

In the space of 4 days I discovered it was crawling with maggots and leaking very stinky fluid. This was in a sealed esky? I had contemplated Sheridans idea and decided a burial was more fitting. I respect traditions and laws especially sacred ones and rarely follow them. I tend to trust my intuition to guide me and I like to improvise. The burial was to be more elaborate and at a vacant block up the road But it became swifter. With a kitchen spoon I dug in the garden. Rich black soil full of black ants. Laid the bird down then added a Frida Kahlo mask that had been leaked on. It was made especially for my friend and indigenous artist Megan Cope. It seemed fitting and perfect. A few flowers and dirt on top and a ritual pissing. Finished with a concrete paving stone I had painted laid on top. Done. It felt complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment